Re: Let's have a vote!

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 11:29:22AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 23:50:45 +1300
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 09:49:10PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 18:32:38 -0400
>
> > > Yes. I'm a huge believer in wiping and reinstalling major versions.
> > > It's like spring cleaning, and I eliminate ghosts of operating
> > > systems past.
> >
> > And then there's the rest of us who run Debian precisely because you
> > don't have to reinstall. It's great because you only ever need to
> > install once.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I assume that implicit in your reply is that such a major version
> upgrade works well, and that over the years you don't get all sorts of
> accumulated software dust bunnies doing funny things to you.
>
> How many others here have experiences like Chris'? My opinions are
> based on Windows, Mandrake and Mandriva. By the time I got to Ubuntu in
> 2007 (and Debian in 2013), I was solidly in the habit of reinstalls and
> never tried a major version upgrade on Ubuntu or Debian.
>
> I just advised another poster to reinstall from scratch, so perhaps it
> would be good to see how many succeeded, and how many failed, by
> upgrading past major versions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT

I've one box that I've upgraded from Potato. My newer servers have been
upgraded in place. No fresh installs - that's why I use Debian on
servers. Quite frankly if you're used to Mandrake/Mandriva then you're
excused I suppose for thinking one should do a clean install - that
distro was never very solid, and they usually released each 6 months or
so.