Re: Let's have a vote!

Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:

> On 28/09/14 04:49, lee wrote:
>> Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Noted. (and adequately demonstrated that you don't understand it -
>>> it "just works for you" - like systemd does).
>>
>> It works only as long as it does.
>
> Insightful.

You're missing the interesting question: What when it doesn't work?

>> I've seen how difficult it is to do a very simple thing with
>> systemd,
>
> Do you have a constructive example - or is the wingeRUS list?  I'm
> presuming you wish to improve the situation?

As I already said:  try to get squid 2.7 started and stopped by systemd
on a current Fedora installation.

>> how poor the documentation is
>
> Obviously that is something that needs improving then. You could help by
> stating the areas you find lacking - perhaps even tell us a bit about
> where you looked?

I looked at the man page.

Better do it the other way round: You look at the exim specification and
bring the developers of systemd to work on their documentation until it
has at least the quality of the exim specification.  Then you might
understand why I can't be bothered to look at the systemd documentation
to point out its flaws.

>> and how confused the developers are.
>
> Are they?  Which developers? This a lot of information to take on board!

My impression is that they are confused and don't really know what
they're doing.

>> When systemd fails, chance to fix it are as good as non-existent.
>
> Ipso facto??

How would you fix it?  It doesn't even have all its configuration files
under /etc but a mess of them distributed all over the file systems
somewhere.  You can't even read the log files.  Nowadays, you can't even
see what messages are printed on the console during booting.  Good luck
with fixing it.

>>> It's a personal choice. If you require a crowd of support as moral
>>> justification you're doing it wrong.
>>
>> Just ask yourself: Why would someone choose to download an ISO for
>> Debian?
>
> I'm not sure how that is an answer to the question I asked. Would you be
> so kind as to answer my question please?

Which question are you referring to?

> The answer to your random question is - because they wish install
> Debian. Please start a new thread for new questions.

That might be one of the reasons.  And why would they want to install
Debian?

>>> Circular logic much? And it justifies what? Others doing the work
>>> for you - on the basis that you've previously *alleged* your "work"
>>> was unfairly rejected in the past. If 'it' is Open Source, not
>>> some hypocritical SLitt license, then provide a link and let the
>>> code speak for itself.
>>
>> It gives me reason not to waste my time with making software for
>> others.
>
> Your call, obviously.

Sure is, yet why tell me to make software nobody cares about.  That
won't get systemd out of Debian.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.