Re: /etc/hosts format WAS [Re: host hostname not found]

 Hi.

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:23:56 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > 'Purged' implies one installed libnss-myhostname in the first place.
> > And libnss-myhostname does more than merely match a local hostname to
> > 127.0.1.1. For example, it 'helpfully' mathes FQDN hostname with
> > 127.0.1.1, and also does the same for ipv6.
> >
> > But the most interesting is why there's a need for the whole library to
> > do the job if a couple of lines in /etc/hosts would do the job just
> > fine.
>
> A few posts back in this thread there is
>
>   [🔎] 20140906161207.GN4985@copernicus.demon.co.uk">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20140906161207.GN4985@copernicus.demon.co.uk
>
> The link it contains leads to another with a recent -devel discussion.
> There is a 10 year history with the issue; a search with "/etc/hosts"
> and "Thomas Hood" should bring up some of it.

I assume you're referring to:

An interesting reading, thanks, but it looks on the problem from
somewhat different angle that I do. What I meant was:

If one as perfectly valid (which seem to be a direct consequence of
#247734) /etc/hosts with the following values:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 <fqdn> <hostname>

Why would one need libnss-myhostname in Debian? Especially if Debian
Installer generates such /etc/hosts for the last 10 years give or take?

I acknowledge that there're other distributions than Debian, and they
used to do things differently (for example, comment 125 of #247734
implies that RedHat did not generate such /etc/hosts back then), so to
address those other distributions' problem libnss-myhostname was
created.

But using this library in Debian seem to be redundant at best.

> > > Needed with cups to discover and advertise print queues on a network.
> >
> > According to the cupsd.conf, DNSSD is only one of the methods of
> > printer discovery. And, as I can tell from the experience, cupsd can
> > perfectly discover any network printer without it if asked to do so.
> > 'Advertise' is a gimmick too. If one needs to let know others where
> > to print - one uses dhcp option 9. Therefore 'needed' is a wrong term.
>
> DNSSD is the *only* method for printer discovery with cups-daemon in
> Jessie.

Oh, that changes things somewhat as I didn't know that. May need to
research the motivation of CUPS upstream for this step. I take it that
my other arguments don't meet any objection from your side?

Reco