Re: /etc/hosts format WAS [Re: host hostname not found]

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:29:22 +0400
Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

> If one as perfectly valid (which seem to be a direct consequence of
> #247734) /etc/hosts with the following values:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 <fqdn> <hostname>

Just to throw another log on the fire: I recently acquired a Windows 8
laptop (don't ask) and found it wouldn't pick up a DHCP address on my
network, which includes a Windows 7 desktop and a few Linux machines.

It took me some effort to get it to connect with manual values as
hands-on networking is quite difficult in Windows these days (and who
thought APIPA addresses were a good idea? That is the one way to
absolutely guarantee that a computer can't connect to any network).

With a bit of packet capturing, it appeared that isc-dhcp-server on
Wheezy was sometimes using 127.0.1.1 as a source address during DHCP
negotiation, which Windows 8 (rightly in my opinion) took exception to.

So I lost the 127.0.1.1 entry, without any obvious problems. I saw a
while back in the thread that exim4 may use it, but my exim4 has been
very firmly told what FQDN to use, and it isn't the server's.

--
Joe