Re: host hostname not found

On Sat 06 Sep 2014 at 09:25:44 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Podrigal, Aron wrote:
> > ok, a fresh install of debian 7.6, here is my settings, I don't have
> > libnss-myhostname
> > installed yet
>
> It shouldn't be *required*.  It is one of those optional features that
> some people want and others do not want.  It is useful.  But for
> example I don't have it installed either.  Because it creates an
> emulation layer it can cause problems.  The answer is, "It depends."

Here's someone who wasn't singing the praises of libnss-myhostname
recently:

  [🔎] 20140902145942.GA19287@ypig.lip.ens-lyon.fr">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 20140902145942.GA19287@ypig.lip.ens-lyon.fr

exim takes its HELO/EHLO from canonical_hostname on the 127.0.1.1 line.
(I don't use postfix but think it does the same). This could cause
problems and, while most ISPs accept any old rubbish as a HELO/EHLO, it
was enough to put me of using libnss-myhostname.