Re: /etc/hosts format WAS [Re: host hostname not found]

On Fri 12 Sep 2014 at 00:59:27 +0400, Reco wrote:

> 2) libnss-myhostname
> I honestly don't know what scares me most about libnss-hostname - the
> need of it in the first place, the author of the library, software that
> behaves funny without it or the setups that genuinely need it :(

People are usually frightened most by things they have no understanding
of.

If the local hostname is always resolvable by a 127.0.1.1 line in
/etc/hosts or the machine is unlikely to dynamically change its hostname
libnss-myhostname probably can be purged.

> 3) avahi-daemon
> Uses funny IPs from 169.254.0.0/16 range and (in)famous .local domain.
> Not needed if you have DNS in your LAN.

Needed with cups to discover and advertise print queues on a network.

> No, please read the output of 'apt-cache show libnss-myhostname'. It'll
> explain this 'myhostname' thing to you better that I can.

That wouldn't be hard.