Re: host hostname not found

 Hi.

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 08:26:38PM -0400, Podrigal, Aron wrote:
> Any idea what can be the cause? I am installing proxmox-ve and when starting pve-cluster it fails with [main] crit: Unable to get local IP address. So I tried
> to look up with host utility and it does not resolve.
>
> host localhost
> Host localhost not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

This is the way it should be - you DNS tells you that it knows nothing
about localhost hostname (because host utility only does DNS requests).
If you need to test the validity of /etc/hosts, you should use:

getent hosts localhost

> /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
>

> in /etc/nsswitch.conf  I have
> hosts:          files dns

While this may look good, I believe you're missing a customary entry
pointing to your hostname in /etc/hosts. I.e.

<your_static_ip_here> <your_hostname_here>

Reco