Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On 09/10/2014 at 04:00 AM, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 10/09/2014, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 03:30:40 +0800 Bret Busby
>> <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Alright, then; it is doing token swapping - with 99% of 16GB
>>> memory usage, and, swapping only 4% of (about) 40GB swap
>>> capacity, you can't seriously tell me that the swapping is
>>> working as it should be.
>>
>> Anyway, a swap of 40GB is too much for a RAM of 16GB (should be
>> around 16-20GB), unless you perform operations that generates a
>> lot of intermediary results).
>
> I had understood the rule to be that swap space size should be at
> least double the size of the RAM.

The rule (more "guideline") as I learned it is that swap capacity should
be at *most* double the size of RAM.

On systems with 8GB of RAM or more, I usually try to aim for about equal
to the size of RAM. On systems with less, I go higher, to be
sufficiently sure I won't OOM with normal use of the system.

On my current system, with 24GB of RAM, the swap partition is (according
to lvdisplay) 22.75GB.

> When the system was originally installed, the RAM was (I think)
> 8GB.
>
> If the double the size of the RAM, is still applicable, then 40GB
> should be okay.
>
> But, the question is, does the system say "Ooh that is too much
> for me - I can not cope - I will not venture out into that"?
>
> Does Debian Linux have a swap size limit, beyond which, swapping
> is disabled, or, choked?

No. It's just a question of how much makes sense to have, beyond which
the naturally emergent behavior is one which does not make sense.

Because the question of what makes sense can be a fairly subjective one,
this is not a question to which there necessarily is a definitive
answer. But there does tend to be a consensus one in practice.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.