Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On 10/09/2014, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 03:30:40 +0800
> Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alright, then; it is doing token swapping - with 99% of 16GB memory
>> usage, and, swapping only 4% of (about) 40GB swap capacity, you can't
>> seriously tell me that the swapping is working as it should be.
>
> Anyway, a swap of 40GB is too much for a RAM of 16GB (should be
> around 16-20GB), unless you perform operations that generates
> a lot of intermediary results).

I had understood the rule to be that swap space size should be at
least double the size of the RAM.

When the system was originally installed, the RAM was (I think) 8GB.

If the double the size of the RAM, is still applicable, then 40GB
should be okay.

But, the question is, does the system say "Ooh that is too much for me
- I can not cope - I will not venture out into that"?

Does Debian Linux have a swap size limit, beyond which, swapping is
disabled, or, choked?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale