Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On 10/09/2014, Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 09/09/14 19:42, Bzzzz wrote:
>> Normally, if you _really_ reach the system RAM limit, init begins
>> killing the least used programs/daemons (well, this WAS true with
>> a good init, such as the sysV one…)
>
> First, the OOM Killer is part of the kernel, not part of the init
> system. Second, it doesn't start killing processes until you run out of
> RAM *and swap*.

Yeah, but, whatever I tried, I could never get Debian 6 to swap. It
would just run out of RAM and freeze.

With Debian 5, I could trick it into swapping, by opening gimp, anf
manipulating a file, and then closing gimp, and that would trick
swapping into working, but, not even that, works with Debian 6.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."