Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

Steve Litt:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 16:00:18 +0800
>>
>> I had understood the rule to be that swap space size should be at
>> least double the size of the RAM.
>
> I think that made a lot more sense back in the days when 128MB of RAM
> was standard. If you have 16GB of RAM, and you're not using KDE nor a
> lot of VMs, are you ever going to really need all that RAM?

ACK. Until a few months ago I ran my laptop with 4GB RAM and no swap at
all. I didn't have any problems, although I have to admit that I mostly
run a slim window manager (Awesome WM), Iceweasel and a few terminals.
Sometimes I browse/edit photos, but not very heavily.

J.
--
Tony Blair is a hypnotised self-seeking scarecrow just like all the
rest.