Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On 12/09/2014, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 09/10/2014 at 04:00 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> On 10/09/2014, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:

>>> Anyway, a swap of 40GB is too much for a RAM of 16GB (should be
>>> around 16-20GB), unless you perform operations that generates a
>>> lot of intermediary results).
>>
>> I had understood the rule to be that swap space size should be at
>> least double the size of the RAM.
>
> The rule (more "guideline") as I learned it is that swap capacity should
> be at *most* double the size of RAM.
>
> On systems with 8GB of RAM or more, I usually try to aim for about equal
> to the size of RAM. On systems with less, I go higher, to be
> sufficiently sure I won't OOM with normal use of the system.
>
> On my current system, with 24GB of RAM, the swap partition is (according
> to lvdisplay) 22.75GB.
>
>> When the system was originally installed, the RAM was (I think)
>> 8GB.
>>
>> If the double the size of the RAM, is still applicable, then 40GB
>> should be okay.
>>
>> But, the question is, does the system say "Ooh that is too much
>> for me - I can not cope - I will not venture out into that"?
>>
>> Does Debian Linux have a swap size limit, beyond which, swapping
>> is disabled, or, choked?
>
> No.

Okay.

So, whether or not the swap partition is bigger than needed, should
not influence the inability of the system, to use the swap partition,
and, thence, whether or not the swap partition is too big, has no
bearing on the problem.

Correct?

--
Bret Busby