Re: Query about existence of way to free up unnecessary RAM usage

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 00:59:29 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> could run a command, and, RAM that is not currently in use by programs
> that are running, is freed?

No, as the 'unused' RAM is in fact used for system caches.

But you can change the swapping threshold:
http://linux.cloudibee.com/2007/11/linux-performance-tuning-vm-swappiness/
(permanent changes are to be written into /etc/sysctl.conf; also note
that is counts backward, a value of 10 meaning: "do not swap until
free RAM is more than 10% of the whole).

> At present, with 16GB of RAM, on this computer, and, "91% in use by
> programs" and "8% in use as cache" (even though, I set cache off, in
> each of the web browsers),

Disabling RAM cache in browsers is a bad idea unless you have very
fast HDz (SSDz).

> it is a system riddled with bloatware, and,
> like a cow with bloat, where it keeps getting bigger and bigger, it
> needs for the gas to be released.

Fart a bit, you're all red ;-p)

> If browser windows are shut, the RAM is still occupied and unusable,

No, it is usable, but it doesn't show as free.

> and, the parasitic javascript progressively consumes the RAM, until it
> takes it all, so, a means of relieving the pressure, would be useful.

As 95% of JS scripts aren't correctly written, this ain't a big
surprise; but this should normally be ended when closing the page
tab.

> Once again, it would be better to be able to fix the problem
> (deflating the bloat), rather than being required to shut the system
> down (kill the animal).

Normally, if you _really_ reach the system RAM limit, init begins
killing the least used programs/daemons (well, this WAS true with
a good init, such as the sysV one…)