Re: Issues upgrading Wheezy --> Jessie (was ... Re: brasero requires gvfs)

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 09:21:57PM +0200, lee wrote:
>> John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> writes:
>>
>> > It appears that there is a good chance that the "upgrade" to Systemd
>> > when upgrading to Jessie will not be automatic (or at least not silent).
>>
>> I would be majorly pissed if a distribution upgrade would force me to
>> suddenly use systemd and not give me a choice.
>>
>> Besides, how do they plan to manage such a change without breaking
>> anything?
>
> Relax, don't stress! You are not the only one worrying about this. In
> fact many of the developers actually use Debian and rely on it for their
> daily use. IOW, you are not in a vacuum and don't need to feel you are
> alone with these issues.

That there may be many people facing a problem doesn't diminish the
problem.

> Already, at the moment there is discussion amongst the developers
> regarding this very issue.

They majorly broke everything with their brokenarch, so why should I
believe that they wont be breaking things again?

> If you have encountered any specific issues while upgrading to systemd
> then that is another issue. It would help the developers if you could
> file a bug against the pseudo package upgrade-reports for any issues you
> encounter.
>
> Please check though that the bug hasn't already been reported.
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=upgrade-reports

Supporting systemd violates Debians' social contract.  Has this bug
report already been filed?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.