Re: brasero requires gvfs

On 09/08/2014 at 05:46 PM, lee wrote:

> Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> writes:
>
>> I'm smart enough to understand that a desktop environment (or a
>> cd burner) depending on a particular init system doesn't make
>> sense. But I have not yet figured out which package to file a bug
>> with.  I suspect the package maintainers are smart enough to
>> realize this as well, but maybe they have not noticed this
>> unreasonable dependency is a result of their choices.
>>
>> So what should be our plan to get this addressed?
>
> It would seem kinda logical to file the bug against the cd-burning
> software because it depends on an init system.
>
> However, this is probably a more general issue in that a yet
> unknown amount of packages suddenly somehow depends on a particular
> init system. So it would seem better to file a general meta-bug,
> like John suggests.

I would argue that the bug lies in the fact that this functionality
(which software not part of an init system wants to depend on) is being
provided by an init system.

IOW, it's a bug in systemd itself - more specifically, a design bug. As
such, it should be fixed there, by moving this functionality outside of
systemd (and making systemd depend on the external provider of the
functionality).

Unfortunately, the systemd designers and developers almost certainly
disagree that this is a bug. They've been moving in the direction of
more integration, not less, and AIUI have explicitly stated that patches
removing the dependencies among the major systemd components will be
rejected; they would almost certainly reject the idea of moving this
functionality outside of systemd.

That's not incompatible with the "single writer, single hierarchy"
cgroups model that has apparently been mandated by the kernel upstream,
as far as I can see; you still have one single writer managing a single
hierarchy of cgroups, it's just that that writer is not part of PID 1,
and does not rely on any particular PID 1 being active.

However, I suspect that it would still be rejected, on fragility grounds
if nothing else. I can still hope that I'm wrong about that, but I don't
think it's very likely.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.