Re: brasero requires gvfs

Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> writes:

> I'm smart enough to understand that a desktop environment (or a cd burner)
> depending on a particular init system doesn't make sense.  But I have
> not yet figured out which package to file a bug with.  I suspect the package
> maintainers are smart enough to realize this as well, but maybe they have
> not noticed this unreasonable dependency is a result of their choices.
>
> So what should be our plan to get this addressed?

It would seem kinda logical to file the bug against the cd-burning
software because it depends on an init system.

However, this is probably a more general issue in that a yet unknown
amount of packages suddenly somehow depends on a particular init system.
So it would seem better to file a general meta-bug, like John suggests.

In any case, I very much doubt that any package maintainers will see
this as a bug.  Even letting aside the element of convenience, they can
always argue that there is no bug but correctly specified dependencies:

There are some 4200 packages depending on libstdc++6.  Is that a bug?
Why?  Because you don't like this piece of software and a piece of
software you happen to like depends on it?

They can also argue that they can very well support various init
systems, even when supporting them means to make use of an init system a
user doesn't want to use.

So what do we need to file a bug against?  That systemd has taken over,
leaving us no choice but to use it?  Since Debian has decided that
systemd will become the default init system, this can hardly be a bug.
Can we make bug reports against bad decisions?

Perhaps we can make a "bug report" about a violation of Debians' social
contract by the decision to support systemd as the (future) default init
system:

"We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free software
community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. [...]
we will provide an integrated system of high-quality materials"[1]

Making systemd, or parts of it, a required component of Debian systems
violates this social contract.  Various reasons for this have been
pointed out.

That's the bug report we need to file, accompanied by a detailed list of
the reasons.  The most likely outcome would be that we are being banned.

[1]: https://www.debian.org/social_contract

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.