Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 6:19 AM, AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 16:44:39 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > journalctl has output options:
>  >
>  > -o, --output=
>  >
>  > Controls the formatting of the journal entries that are shown. Takes
>  > one of the following options:
>
> Seems fine to me after letting go of first impression of distrust in new
> things...
>
> However, I still like my pet idea of postgresql --- and SQL is much more fun
> than journalctl statements...
>
> So, back to the ranch I go...

You do understand the chicken-and-egg nature of what you're asking for?

You're needing to output logs to but up servers, but you have to boot
a server as complex as anySQL server to get there. Where is anySQL
going to log its progress as it boots up, not to mention that the
system itself has to wait for anySQL to get up before it can do
anything that might generate a log.

(Having a separate machine be a log server can be useful, but even
that can't take log messages when the network is not properly up.
Which means there will be low-level log messages kept in a separate
place, and sometimes high-level log messages waiting to be off-loaded
to the log server.)

There is a fundamental bug in ASCII/Unicode that is causing this
technical angst.

Well, there are some misfeatures of Unicode, and there are some
inherent shortcomings in any character encoding, and they converge to
cause the sort of problems that are being discussed here.

If we can get package developers to be more considerate of common log
formats when they write their log messages, that will help. But the
systemd crew don't want to work that hard, so they are unilaterally
pushing a common (binary API) log format on the whole world.

And, as a sometimes programmer, I can tell you I'll often be ignoring
the systemd logging system. I've been made non-productive often enough
by having to fight with mandated java logging classes that just don't
quite fit the kind of log I need to write.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.