Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 07 Aug 2014 at 16:53:10 +0300, David Baron wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 07 August 2014 14:21:45 Brian wrote:
>> >
>> > This is part of the transition to systemd plan.
>> >
>> >     https://lists.debian.org/87mwc9gfsw.fsf@xoog.err.no
>> >
>> > Also, for those who care, libpam-systemd's Depends: line now has
>> >
>> >     systemd-sysv | systemd-shim
>>
>> Should the dsf-53.3 versions be installed or does it matter?
>> systemd-shim is NOT installed (had installed on previous 32 bit system as I
>> said). Or are these obsolete, being handled by systemd-sysv so can/should be
>> removed or does it matter?
>
> The transition hasn't been completed yet, I'd install and hold off any
> tidying until it has been and you remain a happy camper. The neat
> fallback SysV init binary feature of sysvinit might be something you
> want to keep.
>
>> Wish there were not so many bugs around systemd. No objection to it as long as
>> it works.
>
> The number of bugs on
>
>    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=systemd;dist=unstable
>
> doesn't seen that high for a package of its importance and visibility.
> Most reports have had a response. Some reports are not bugs.
>
> If you value a low blood pressure don't look at the bug page for apt. :)

This is precisely why systemd should have been brought up to speed in
a separate, parallel, volunteer-only distro.

(If you don't understand what I mean by a separate, parallel,
volunteer-only distribution, think of kfreebsd, but a little closer to
home.)

I'd still say there's time for debian to go for a course correction,
but everyone seems to be determined to ignore the obvious.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.