Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 09:03:56 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

 > You do understand the chicken-and-egg nature of what you're asking for?
 >
 > You're needing to output logs to but up servers, but you have to boot
 > a server as complex as anySQL server to get there.

I wasn't going to continue on this thread -- and after playing with
the journalctl cli for much of the day -- I repent of my complaints [mostly]
-- any remaining complaints are extremely minor. But I guess I should answer a
direct question... perhaps a new thread should be started, this one is getting
long in the tooth.

Of course I understand the chicken-egg problem.  However, once the system is
running, there's no reason why the log data collected during the boot
process couldn't then parsed into a standardized db --- resulting in
standardized sql query capabilities.  The boot log data should be entirely
ASCII until a login prompt.  This greatly assists troubleshooting of failed
boots - undeniably. However, after booting, remove the ASCII boot log data
from RAM via secure deletion process to increase security of the system as a
whole...

--Andrew