Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

The Wanderer wrote:
> Maybe it's got something to do with the way I install Debian? I don't
> quite follow the normal installer defaults 100%; I do partitioning
> manually, and I disable all tasks except for the base system, then
> install everything I need (including X) separately afterwards.

I think that is perfectly valid and I do much the same thing here.
But I think that must be the reason at some level.  Probably due to
what we install we have slightly different packages installed.  I am
sure that one of those is what is triggering the console resizing.

Or it is also possible that the hardware differences is the source of
the difference.  Your graphics display hardware may decide to use the
25 line terminal while mine chooses a 48 line terminal.

I searched the web a little and found references saying that the
640x480 8-bit mode produces a console of 80x25.  If you were curious
enough to try a few reboots of your system you could add the vga=PARAM
option to the kernel boot line and force various resolutions.  If you
are using grub then this is easy by changing the boot line at boot
time.  Here are some possibilities.

  771 - 800x600, 8-bit
  773 - 1024x768, 8-bit
  775 - 1280x1024, 8-bit
  788 - 800x600, 16-bit
  789 - 800x600, 24-bit
  791 - 1024x768, 16-bit
  792 - 1024x768, 24-bit
  794 - 1280x1024, 16-bit
  795 - 1280x1024, 24-bit

Or perhaps better would be to set vga=ask which will prompt with a
selection.

  https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/svga.txt

Bob