Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

On Sat 02 Aug 2014 at 12:24:46 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > With sysvinit the default at booting is for the screen messages to fly
> > past at a bewildering speed and then for the screen to be cleared by
> > agetty. Nobody particularily complains about this behaviour. Unless
> > you have an excellent visual memory you are in the dark as regards what
> > happened.
>
> Just for the record I complain about that behavior.  I don't like the
> fancy tty colors and always disable them.  I don't like the screen
> clearing those away and so I always set the getty --noclear option.
> The problem is that while there may be complaints like mine I don't
> see them changing anything.

Upstream for agetty responded to concerns about security from users,
some of whom apparently had the compliance police breathing down their
necks. My view on such idiocy is probably not for this list. The
--noclear option rules here too.

Many people use a DM and will not see the boot messages but suddenly we
have complaints about systemd doing what sysvint has done for some time.
As long as I can alter the default it's ok with me.