Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

The Wanderer wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The Wanderer wrote:
> >> Where do you set this, exactly? /etc/inittab ?
> >
> > Note that Squeeze 6 /sbin/getting does not support --noclear so don't
> > set this on Squeeze systems.  But for Wheezy 7 and later this
> > snippet will make automate the change.  It is part of the standard
> > system config for me.
> >
> >     if [ -f /etc/inittab ]; then
> >       if grep -q '^1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty' /etc/inittab; then
> > 	log "Fixing getty --noclear in /etc/inittab"
> > 	sed --in-place '/^1/s/getty 38400/getty --noclear 38400/' /etc/inittab
> > 	kill -1 1  # Tell init to re-read the inittab file.
> >       fi
> >     fi
>
> And, again, where do you put this? I could easily see running it by hand
> (or just making the changes by hand), of course, but the fact that you
> have even so minorly complex a code snippet for it seems to imply that
> you have it written down somewhere to run automatically.

I am sorry if I was not clear in the above.  I included a snippet of
my system configuration scripts so that it would show verbatim where
things go and how it could be automatically set.  Unfortunately that
opened up another question which was where would one put such system
configuration scripts!  That is a question I don't have time to talk
about right now.  It would involve cfengine, puppet, chef, my own
processes, infrastructures, other things.

If you wish to open a new topic of discussion of how people by script
automatically configure their systems then that would be an
interesting discussion of automating system administration.  But there
are dozens of strategies.  Everyone doing this has their own
favorites.  Until then I will leave this last question you just now
asked as an exercise for the reader.

As for your original question, where do you put --noclear, you put it
in the inittab.  Let me be more specific so as to clear up any
possible confusion.

The file /etc/inittab originally contains in a default install:

  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
  2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
  3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
  4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
  5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
  6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

To avoid clearing the console change the /etc/inittab file by any
method you feel comfortable doing (script, emacs, other) to this:

  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty1
  2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty2
  3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty3
  4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty4
  5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty5
  6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty --noclear 38400 tty6

> Before reaching the login prompt, yes, you can scroll back (if no new
> messages are being printed to yank you back down to the bottom, anyway).
> However, once the screen is cleared for the login prompt, in my
> experience you can't scroll back.

Try the above.  It won't be cleared.  You should be able to page back.

> (Also, how do you have less than a screen of boot messages?

I must have a higher resolution monitor than you.  (shrug) I have 44
lines of console boot messages.  The monitor is an older 1280x1024
monitor.  The default console size is 48 lines and annoyingly doesn't
use the bottom third of the screen.  If it did use the full screen it
would probably have 70 plus lines available.

(I miss the old days when the console always worked.  Before the
current bit mapped font use that never seems to work right for me.  I
don't need unicode on the system boot console.)

> I end up with more than that just from the mounting of partitions

The system I just tested only has root and /boot.  It was a simple
system for testing purposes.

> plus the starting of services, and while I do have a few more

The screen shows that it is starting a dozen services.  That is more
than reasonable for a LAMP-style web server for example.  It is
running all of the normal stuff including postfix, ntpd, at, cron,
bind, syslog, nginx, mysql.  There is a lot of possible stuff to start
at boot time but I can't think of anything else I would want on a
server at this moment.  Again, nothing wrong with running a lot of
stuff on a machine.  That is what it is there for.

> partitions than some people might, it's certainly not hugely
> excessive. I'd estimate that I get something between 2 and 5 screens
> of boot messages, normally, not counting special-occasion things
> like automatic-fsck output.)

I looked at my main server and the /var/log/boot log shows 84 lines
that would be printed at boot time.  It is a full featured system with
much installed and running.  For me that would be 1.5 screens.
Assuming I attached a monitor to it.  It is normally headless.

Bob