Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

On 08/03/2014 10:27 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Bob Proulx wrote:

>>> I must have a higher resolution monitor than you.  (shrug) I have
>>> 44 lines of console boot messages.  The monitor is an older
>>> 1280x1024 monitor.  The default console size is 48 lines and
>>> annoyingly doesn't use the bottom third of the screen.  If it did
>>> use the full screen it would probably have 70 plus lines
>>> available.
>>
>> I have a 2560x1600 monitor, and the console is full-screen, but
>> still only 25 lines; the text is just displayed at a larger scale,
>> that's all. I thought that sort of scaling was fairly standard,
>> actually.
>
> Hmm...  I am sure you are happy with your configuration.  But of
> course it leads me to wonder why you get 25x80.  Mind if I ask about
> it?

Not in the slightest. I'd be interested to know why my system is
different, as well. (I've seen other systems that do behave differently
- - a live-CD-like environment we use at work which is apparently based on
SuSE, most prominently - but pretty much every Debian install I've ever
done has had that behavior, as far as I recall.)

> I haven't seen that in a long time. I would not be unhappy with it.
> I don't like that part way through the boot the screen flickers and
> jumps into a bit mapped display mode in order to support UTF-8
> characters.

That still happens for me, actually, it just doesn't "resize" the
display in the process.

> Does 'cat /proc/cmdline' show any vga=0F00 or other setting?

Nope:

$ cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.14-1-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/vg_system-lv_root ro quiet

> Is GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 set in /etc/default/grub?

The line is present, but commented out.

> I would think that something along those lines would be needed in
> order to instruct the Linux kernel to continue with the standard
> 25x80 console.  Or perhaps you have avoided installing console-setup
> or some such that is doing the switch on other systems.  That might
> be an advantage! :-)

console-setup is installed. I'm not sure what configuration files it
uses, but I've checked the ones I can find from 'man setupcon', and the
only lines which look like they might be related to this are commented
out.

Maybe it's got something to do with the way I install Debian? I don't
quite follow the normal installer defaults 100%; I do partitioning
manually, and I disable all tasks except for the base system, then
install everything I need (including X) separately afterwards.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.