Re: systemd and resume (after sleep)

Ahoj,

Dňa Sun, 3 Aug 2014 14:42:01 +0100 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> napísal:

> On Sat 02 Aug 2014 at 19:02:36 +0200, Slavko wrote:
>
> > OK, i did small progress :-)
> >
> > The issue is (seems) not related to systemd, it is caused by
> > switching
>
> What did you do that led you to that conclusion?
>
> I think
>
>    echo mem > /sys/power/state

More precise:

    echo disk > /sys/power/state

I follow the docs from kernel (link in previous mail) - then i can see,
that the problem is when i try to hibernate via the kernel PM. Then i
decide to install the uswsusp, but it seems, that this is only frontend
for kernel functions.

+ s2ram is working with the -f option (not KMS, not whitelisted), no
  other quirks are needed.

At the Saturday, both (echo disk > ... and s2ram) was repeatable working.

> is an init system independent way of suspending. The resume will be
> recorded in syslog. For "systemctl suspend" the journal also writes to
> syslog on Debian..
>
> > from pm-utils to kernel's PM. I follow Debugging hibernation and
> > suspend at [1], where i did tests via /sys/power/pm_test.
> >
> > The first i try the "freezer", which works, then i try the "devices"
> > option, where the same problems happen, then it seems. IIUC, the
> > problem is with suspending the devices. Now the question is: which
> > device?
>
> [1] advises a systematic removal of drivers and testing.

Sure. But i find nothing. On the Saturday i got it repeatably working
(after a lot of freezes and reboot). Then i think, that solution was to
use

sysctl kernel.acpi_video_flags
kernel.acpi_video_flags = 2

I was happy, but when i continue to test in next day (Sunday), the
state is as at the start and i am not able to get it working again. I
will continue to find, what i did at Saturday and omit at Sunday.

> As I said, I would approach the problem starting with a minimal system
> and working up. It has the advantage of leaving your system untouched
> for later testing. If there is something fundamentally wrong with
> suspend and resume it is unlikely that what is done with Xfce has
> anything to offer by way of a solution.

I was trying it without X and here is not a problem. I investigated,
that only difference (with and without X) are the nvidia loaded and snd*
drivers used. The snd* drivers have no effect (i blacklisted
snd-hda-intel, but without change). Then it seems, as all is VGA
related. The strange (for me) is, that the hibernate/suspend is working
with nvidia driver loaded but without X running and it is not working,
when the X started. These problems are out of my knowledge and
it seems, that the kernel's PM documentation is somewhat outdated.

But i will continue with finding the solution. On the Arch wiki i read,
that it is possible to force systemd to use the uswsups, then i can try
to force systemd to use the pm-utils by the same way :P

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk