Re: /dev/random5

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Andrew McGlashan
<andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
> [...]
> If you do the /dev/zero against a volume, then no useful data will
> remain on that volume ... you need to backup that file system first,
> then restore it after you re-create the file system again.

Well, that depends on a number of things. In the worst case scenario,
electron microscopes have a much easier time recovering data
overwritten with zeros than data overwritten with random stuff.

Also, I understand that there are some very intelligent controllers
that compress zeroed blocks and other such helpful things.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.