Re: Pin package to "any version, don't remove"?

On 07/29/2014 05:30 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 29 iul 14, 08:36:48, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> root@apologia:/home/wanderer# apt-cache show removal-prevention
>> Package: removal-prevention
>
> Essential: yes is missing, no idea why given your control file.

I noticed that, yes.

I have a vague memory that Essential: yes may conflict with Section:
misc (and thus it wouldn't be entirely surprising if it got ignored on
that basis), but I don't recall where I found that - probably somewhere
in the New Maintainers' Guide or in other Debian packaging
documentation, but I don't recall exactly where. Might be worth looking
into at some point.

> In the meantime you can probably work around it with a 1001 pin.

A pin of what to what?

E.g., the following:

========
Package: removal-prevention
Pin: version 1.0
Pin-Priority: 1001
========

produces no change in behavior; dist-upgrade still wants to remove
removal-prevention, and the packages it depends on.

Similar things happen with "Pin: version *" on fglrx-driver or on other
such packages; that's what I tried before even starting this thread.

If it weren't for the fact that the iceweasel and icedove pins (in the
same file) are being respected, I'd be tempted to wonder whether my
preferences file was even being read...

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.