Re: Pin package to "any version, don't remove"?

On 07/20/2014 05:54 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Sb, 19 iul 14, 21:58:13, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to tell apt to calculate its dependency resolution
>> so as to avoid removing a particular package, without limiting that
>> package to a particular version?
>
> This is an interesting problem. I'd try pinning the installed version
> to the same priority as your "highest" release (500 by default).
> Assuming you have sid without any special pinning this should look
> like:
>

> Package: fglrx-driver
> Pin: version 1:14.4.2-1
> Pin-Priority: 500
> Explanation: don't remove

I'll try that, but it looks like it wouldn't be an ideal solution,
because it's still version-specific.

That is, it might work fine for one particular occurrence of the "new X"
problem, but what happens when another new X comes along later? Wouldn't
I see the removal attempt again, unless I go in and change the pinned
version manually?

What I was aiming at with the version-number wildcard is to let a single
pinning stanza work repeatedly, for different fglrx-driver versions,
without need for manual intervention.

> Note: I'd probably have the same problem with nvidia-driver, but my
> aptitude is not suggesting removals as first option anymore due to:
>
> // tweak Aptitude to not suggest removals as first option
> Aptitude::ProblemResolver::SolutionCost "removals";

I use apt-get, not aptitude, and I don't know whether it has a similar
option. I've never seen a comprehensive-seeming, but still readable,
listing of these apt-related config options.

(However, one of the most major reasons I don't use aptitude is because
of its penchant for suggesting removals - including, often, of the very
package(s) I requested to install/upgrade - as its first priority. It's
not impossible that this configuration tweak might mitigate that problem
to some considerable extent.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.