Pin package to "any version, don't remove"?

Is there a way to tell apt to calculate its dependency resolution so as
to avoid removing a particular package, without limiting that package to
a particular version?

Specifically, I'd like to pin fglrx-driver to "installed" (but not
necessarily to any particular version or release), so that when new X is
released and fglrx hasn't been updated to match it yet my routine
upgrades will stay with the older X rather than trying to remove the
graphics driver.

I know this can be done manually on the command line at dist-upgrade
time, by explicitly specifying the package name(s) to be retained, but I
haven't found a way of doing it long-term that works.

The obvious approach is package pinning in the preferences file at
higher-than-default priority, something like:

========
Package: fglrx-driver
Pin: version *
========

but that has no visible effect; when an X not compatible with the newest
available fglrx-driver is available, 'apt-get dist-upgrade' still tries
to remove fglrx-driver.

Is it just that my pinning stanza syntax is incorrect, or is there
something else? Or is there really no way to do this, except manually
every time?

(I know that the basic effect can be achieved by explicitly limiting the
package to a particular version - either via package pinning or, more
crudely and clunkily and at more risk of breaking things, with 'dpkg
- --set-selections' - but I don't want to do that; I want to let apt
upgrade fglrx-driver and X as soon as compatible new versions are
available, without my having to explicitly notice the change and revert
the version-specific pin/hold.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.