Re: Pin package to "any version, don't remove"?

On 07/29/2014 04:53 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Lu, 28 iul 14, 22:47:56, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> I just now tried that as well (in combination with 'Priority:
>> required'), and it produced the same result: apt-get wanted to
>> remove the metapackage on dist-upgrade.
>
> Could you please post the full output for that and 'apt-cache show'
> and 'apt-cache policy' for your package?

Assuming you mean for the equivs-based package I'm using (though I don't
understand why 'apt-cache policy' output would be helpful), here you go
I'm not positive this is as minimal (i.e., clean of unrelated packages)
as I can get it, but it's what I'm working with at the moment.

========
root@apologia:/home/wanderer# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically
installed and are no longer required:
  libgeoclue0 libkolabxml0 libmowgli2 libupower-glib1
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  colord fglrx-control fglrx-driver gvfs gvfs-daemons libpam-systemd
policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome removal-prevention systemd udisks2
  libkolabxml1
  bzr grub-common grub-pc grub-pc-bin grub2-common
plasma-scriptengine-javascript python-bzrlib
  dovecot-core dovecot-imapd isoquery libgee-0.8-2 libguess1 libkolab0
libmozjs185-1.0 libnss-winbind libpam-winbind libpathplan4 libqmi-glib1
libqmi-proxy libsmbclient libsmbclient-dev libsystemd-daemon0
libsystemd-journal0 libsystemd-journal0:i386 libsystemd-login0
libwbclient0 libxdot4 libxkbcommon-dev libxkbcommon0 phonon-backend-vlc
python-samba samba samba-common samba-common-bin
  samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs smbclient winbind xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64
xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-modesetting
  xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128
xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-savage
xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident
xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
56 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 11 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 22.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 41.5 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
root@apologia:/home/wanderer# apt-cache show removal-prevention
Package: removal-prevention
 Convince apt to find dependency solutions which leave certain packages
 installed, even when that means deciding not to upgrade other packages,
 regardless of the installed or available versions of any packages involved.
 .
 This package does nothing itself, but only depends on the packages which
 are to be kept as installed.
Description-md5: 6ecaf73a22e81b052549df44fb82b42c

root@apologia:/home/wanderer# apt-cache policy removal-prevention
removal-prevention:
  Installed: 1.0
  Candidate: 1.0
  Version table:
 *** 1.0 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
========

For comparison against the 'apt-cache show' output, here are the
non-commented lines from the control file used with equivs-build:

========
Section: misc
Essential: yes
Standards-Version: 3.9.2

Package: removal-prevention
Maintainer: Andrew Buehler <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
Depends: fglrx-driver, systemd-shim
 Convince apt to find dependency solutions which leave certain packages
 installed, even when that means deciding not to upgrade other packages,
 regardless of the installed or available versions of any packages involved.
 .
 This package does nothing itself, but only depends on the packages which
 are to be kept as installed.
========

Just to be complete, this is with the following packages set to 'hold'
status via 'dpkg --set-selections':

e16
grub-pc

And the following non-commented package pins:

========
Package: iceweasel
Pin: version 24.*
Pin-Priority: 1001