Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 5:01 AM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:

>>> 2) You have a specific syntax, and a specific semantics (what does
>>> ExecStart, WantedBy, etc mean), that one must learn in order to simply
>>> read this. The namles of the sections are also meaningfull. All this
>>> defines a full fledge langaue, and I did not find any comprehensive donc
>>> of the language. Each doc refers to 43 or 4 other docs who refers back
>>> to all the others, making things quite difficult to read when you need a
>>> complete doc and not only a reference on points that you already
>>> partially know.
>>
>> You have to learn the syntax of any program in order to use it.
>>
>> The LSB headers of a sysvinit script have to be learned.
>
> Yes. SO the argument "it is a simple text file not a shell script" uis
> false. It is as complicated to learn as a shell script. More for
> people knowing scripting (eg. all unix admins).

Run "file /lib/systemd/system/<somedaemon>/service" and check what it returns.

The ini file is a text file. But is has a syntax. Your argument would
mean that a text file in hindi wouldn't be a text file. No. You'd have
to learn hindi to understand the hindi file and you have to learn
systemd-speak to understand its unit files.

>> For documentation of the keys, try harder:
>>
>> man 7 systemd.directives
>
> You're joking or what ?

Not at all. Either you're an administrator and you learn about the
tools that you have to use or you're a user and you don't.

>      Accept=
>            systemd.socket(5)
>
>        After=
>            systemd.unit(5)
>
>        Alias=
>            systemd.unit(5)
>
>        AllowIsolate=
>            systemd.unit(5)
>
>        Also=
>            systemd.unit(5)
>
>        Backlog=
>            systemd.socket(5)
>
>        Before=
>            systemd.unit(5)
>
>        BindIPv6Only=
>            systemd.socket(5)
>
>        BindToDevice=
>            systemd.socket(5)
>
>        BindsTo=
>            systemd.unit(5)
>
> Does not document anything. It is just an index to a multi file
> reference, which is useless if you do not already know the system. My
> problem is not "whioch are the options for this particular statement",
> but how do I do this (eg. How do I test a particular condition before
> starting a daemon, or how do I replace my policy-rc.d ?).

It's an index. So what? It tells you in which systemd.<something> man
page to look up a systemd unit's key. Weren't you asking to understand
unit files and their syntax?