Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 20/07/2014 16:11, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
>> On Du, 20 iul 14, 14:40:27, Erwan David wrote:

>>> Add to this the fact it throws away years of habits with yet another
>>> language (yes the systemd unit files are nit shellscripts but they use a
>>> specific language mre complicated to understand thant shell scripts,
>> You must be confusing systemd unit files with something else:
>>
>> /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service:
>>
>> [Unit]
>> Description=Music Player Daemon
>> After=network.target sound.target
>>
>> [Service]
>> EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/mpd
>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpd --no-daemon $MPDCONF
>>
>> [Install]
>> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>>
>> This is the classic .ini format, very easy to read without having any
>> knowledge of shell scripting (or any other programing language).
>
> This is not the classic ini format
>
> 1) this format is not so classic (except for windows users, who do not
> use systemd) and I do not find a complete definition of it (eg. I did
> not find a definition of a section, it seems rather straightforward, but
> not completely, what if a definition is before the first section title,
> is there a way to do subsections, etc...)

It is a standard ini file format, which is:

[Section]
<key>=<value>

It's used, for example, by postfix (without "[Section]") so it's not
just a Windows format.

> 2) You have a specific syntax, and a specific semantics (what does
> ExecStart, WantedBy, etc mean), that one must learn in order to simply
> read this. The namles of the sections are also meaningfull. All this
> defines a full fledge langaue, and I did not find any comprehensive donc
> of the language. Each doc refers to 43 or 4 other docs who refers back
> to all the others, making things quite difficult to read when you need a
> complete doc and not only a reference on points that you already
> partially know.

You have to learn the syntax of any program in order to use it.

The LSB headers of a sysvinit script have to be learned.

For documentation of the keys, try harder:

man 7 systemd.directives

RHEL 7 has just been released with systemd so there's probably extra
documentation on redhat.com.

>>> systemd may have advantages but the change is much too fast, untested
>>> and will lead to big problems that many of us cannot afford.
>>
>> You're aware of course that Debian is one of the last big distros to
>> switch to systemd, with the notable exception of Ubuntu (who was using
>> upstart anyway).
>
> RHEL 7 does not use systemd as far as I know, only fedora (which would
> be sid, but not stable).

Please do some homework before making such a statement about RHEL 7!

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.0_Release_Notes/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7.0_Release_Notes-System_and_Services.html