Several systemd annoyances [was: Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd]

On Du, 20 iul 14, 04:33:34, sp113438 wrote:
> My main problems on Sid with systemd:
>
> 1 poweroff takes ages (several minutes), and sometimes fails completely,
> this is very annoying

I used to have this due to NFS mounts and Network Manager (#746358),
fixed in initscripts 2.88dsf-55.2. Could you provide more details about
your system? As far as I can tell Michael Biebl (one of the systemd
package maintainers) is also watching -user for systemd issues so you
could get expert help.

> 2 switching to a console takes 10 seconds until the prompt

If you're using consoles a lot it probably makes more sense to have them
always activated on boot. The solution was posted here a while ago, but
if I were to guess all you have to do is create additional symlinks like

$ ls -l /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 iul 16 02:25 /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service -> /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service

Please note you don't need to do this or VT6 since it's reserved. See
the ReserveVT option in logind.conf(5).

Please report back if and how this worked, I have a feeling this would
be a good thing to document in the FAQsFromDebianUser (see my .sig).

> 3 my X-session is under Ctrl+Alt+F2 not F7

I'm guessing the display manager (would be nice to know which one) is
taking up the first available VT (except 6 which is reserved as per the
above). You could either explicitly tell it to use VT7 or just let it
use whatever VT is left after doing what I suggested for 2.

> Booting is fast

:)

Kind regards,
Andrei