Re: Iptables

On 06/27/2014 03:31 PM, Diogene Laerce wrote:

> On 06/27/2014 08:36 PM, PaulNM wrote:
>> In Thunderbird/IceDove you'll have to add it as a custom header when
>> setting up the filter, but it's *way* better than trying to filter by
>> the contents of the subject line or to address.
>
> I saw it but I don't understand how it could be *way* better than using
> the address for filtering. And actually how do you use this ?

The Wanderer listed quite a few good reasons, including some I hadn't
thought of.  Previously, I had to create filters moving messages based
on subject. For example, some lists I'm on prepend every email's subject
line with {ListName}.  A problem is when I forward a message to a
friend, their reply would get filtered into the folder I use for the
mailing list, even though it never went to the mailing list. List-Id
based filtering makes it obvious when someone replies directly to you.

Real fun comes when someone forwards a message from one mailing list to
another.  If they both do the above subject line munging, and you have
filters for both, the things get "interesting". All messages end up in
whichever filter runs first, regardless of actual mailing list origin.

Also, many technically-oriented mailing lists (like Debian's) don't do
that, as they try to avoid mail munging.

In the Thunderbird/IceDove new filter dialog box, the default is to
match on subject. If you click on "subject", at the very bottom of the
list is "Customize".  That brings in a box where you can add headers to
filter by.  After that point, it'll show up in the same list as
Subject/From/Body/etc.

>> Oh, there's also "User-Agent", which is how I know you use IceDove. :)
>
> In fact, I use outlook express but it sends the icedove signature to
> look cool. The Oedipe complex I guess..

Odd, I just double-checked. All of your messages to the list in June are
similar, the only difference being a minor version bump. I suspect you
were joking?

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Icedove/24.5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Icedove/24.6.0

For those interested, there's a pretty neat extension (Display Mail User
Agent) that'll put a large icon in the header area of the screen showing
what email client the sender used.  It's slightly out of date, so some
of the icon are a little old. There's a way to use a .csv to change the
icons if you really want to, though.

- PaulNM