Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On Mon 19 May 2014 at 15:53:50 +0400, Reco wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:43:21AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> >   If you wish to run a headless print server, we now ship the independent
> >   packages of hpijs and hplip-cups, which do not require the full hplip depends.
>
> Thanks, but this is outdated.
>
> hplip-cups is a transitional package to the printer-driver-hpcups as of
> wheezy.

Thanks, I forgot to mention the change in the packages. It doesn't
invalidate the advice though.

> printer-driver-hpcups lacks essential backend executable
> /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp, which prevents cups from using hp:/ URIs.
> Such backend is included into hplip package.
>
> And you need those hp:/ URIs if you want to talk to the HP printer via
> ethernet, which is the only sane way to configure printers IMO.
>
> Therefore - to setup the printserver one has to install full-blown hplip
> with all bells, whistles, QT and PolicyKit. Talk about bloat.

If the hp and hpfax backends are considered to be essential for the task
then policykit comes with them. Without wishing to get into a discussion
on the merits of different backends the 'bloat' is avoided by using, for
example, socket:/.