Re: systemd situation in Jesssie

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 03:39:00PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Mon 19 May 2014 at 15:53:50 +0400, Reco wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:43:21AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > >   If you wish to run a headless print server, we now ship the independent
> > >   packages of hpijs and hplip-cups, which do not require the full hplip depends.
> >
> > Thanks, but this is outdated.
> >
> > hplip-cups is a transitional package to the printer-driver-hpcups as of
> > wheezy.
>
> Thanks, I forgot to mention the change in the packages. It doesn't
> invalidate the advice though.

Indeed. Yet, given the lack of the backend, the need of
printer-driver-hpcups evades me.

> > printer-driver-hpcups lacks essential backend executable
> > /usr/lib/cups/backend/hp, which prevents cups from using hp:/ URIs.
> > Such backend is included into hplip package.
> >
> > And you need those hp:/ URIs if you want to talk to the HP printer via
> > ethernet, which is the only sane way to configure printers IMO.
> >
> > Therefore - to setup the printserver one has to install full-blown hplip
> > with all bells, whistles, QT and PolicyKit. Talk about bloat.
>
> If the hp and hpfax backends are considered to be essential for the task
> then policykit comes with them. Without wishing to get into a discussion
> on the merits of different backends the 'bloat' is avoided by using, for
> example, socket:/.

Yes, but both hp and hpfax aren't using PolicyKit in any way. In fact,
one can replace policykit-1 with a stub package, and it does not affect
printing in any way.

Sadly the same cannot be said about a bunch of python scripts provided
by hplip, but who needs them on a print server anyway?

Reco