Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 20/05/14 00:37, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Linking to an image on my site makes it look like the image is a part of
> your site.  If I own the copyright on that image, that is a violation of
> the copyright.

That appears to be still a subject of debate. My view: If I haven't
copied it, how can I be violating copyright? I would still consider it
an unethical thing to do, perhaps, but not a copyright violation. But IANAL.

> Even if I don't own the copyright, you are using
> bandwidth I paid for for your site, which is also theft.

I'm not using your bandwidth. My viewer is. And it's an image you put
there to be downloaded. Still, I agree it's unethical.

Of course, you can use tricks with referrer headers - or even more
complicated methods with timeouts from the request of the your
containing page, or whatever - to try and avoid it.

Richard