Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 5/19/2014 8:46 AM, Richard Hector wrote:
On 20/05/14 00:37, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Linking to an image on my site makes it look like the image is a part of
your site.  If I own the copyright on that image, that is a violation of
the copyright.

That appears to be still a subject of debate. My view: If I haven't
copied it, how can I be violating copyright? I would still consider it
an unethical thing to do, perhaps, but not a copyright violation. But IANAL.

Even if I don't own the copyright, you are using
bandwidth I paid for for your site, which is also theft.

I'm not using your bandwidth. My viewer is. And it's an image you put
there to be downloaded. Still, I agree it's unethical.

Of course, you can use tricks with referrer headers - or even more
complicated methods with timeouts from the request of the your
containing page, or whatever - to try and avoid it.

Richard

No, by making it look like the image is on your site, even though it is being downloaded from my site, you are violating the copyright and stealing my bandwidth.

It may be the user who is unknowingly actually downloading the image from my site - but it is YOUR CODE which causes him to do it.

Jerry