Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On Jo, 15 mai 14, 00:27:08, Gary Dale wrote:

> I disagree. Browser support for DRM makes it easier for people to provide
> content that uses DRM. After all, if every browser supports it, why not use
> it?
>
> Debian is based on freedom. Iceweasel exists because Firefox contained
> proprietary parts.

Iceweasel exists because the trademark policy for Firefox requires all
changes to the browser to be approved my the Mozilla Corporation and
this conflicts with Debian's usual security support strategy for stable.

Lately Mozilla has been providing the ESR and Debian has been upgrading
iceweasel in wheezy via the security archive. I'd say there are chances
that Jessie releases with Firefox instead of Iceweasel.

> To not remove digital restrictions support undermines a
> major strength of Debian. If people want DRM, they can always download
> Firefox but they should have a choice for freedom.

There is no need to remove *support* for DRM, as long as it is Free
Software (according to Debian's definition). Whether to use it (or not)
must be the choice of the user.

Kind regards,
Andrei