Re: Iceweasel and DRM

On 5/19/2014 8:32 AM, The Wanderer wrote:

On 05/18/2014 10:31 PM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

On 5/18/2014 10:21 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

On 5/19/14, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

Actually, you have NO RIGHTS.  You can do only what the content
creators say you can do.

I'm guessing you never quite understood the difference between
"can" and "may". But hey ... COME ON DOWN SPINNER! The Debian Derby
  continues, and everyone's a winner, baby!

Yes, I understand the difference.  The license I grant you to use my
copyrighted material says what you MAY use it for.  Of course, you
CAN use it for something else - but you will be in violation of the
copyright.

What is your basis for claiming this?

As far as I can see, there is no basis in the law for the claim that
copyright grants any control whatsoever over the end user's *use* of the
copyrighted thing. Separate contracts can grant such control, but the
only leverage the copyright holder has in order to persuade someone to
agree to such a contract is the threat to refuse to authorize the
creation of a copy. (Or possibly the threat to refuse to create more
things in the future, but that would exist even without copyright.)

If the copy has already been created and has been transferred to the
user (as in the case of, e.g., a physical DVD), and no further copies
are going to be created, and the end user has not agreed to a contract
limiting their use of the copy, what is there to either limit such use
or require them to agree to such a contract?

The license you agree to when using my product. Have you ever looked at the license for a product you've bought or downloaded via the internet? Even GPL products are licensed; the license specifies what can and cannot be done with the product. If you use the material, you agree to the license - and the terms in it.

I could, for instance, put in the license you can only use the product between the hours of 2AM and 3AM local time on Tuesdays. Maybe it's not a reasonable term - but if you want to use the product, that's the only time you can legally use it.

Jerry