Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:58:39 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Patrick,
>
> >IMAP was the recommended way to access free Yahoo Mail with an email
> >client.  You had to convert to a paid account to get POP access.
> >Don't know if that's still the case.
>
> I had a yahoo and gmail accounts, never paid for them, and accessed
> both using POP/SMTP.  Never heard about having to pay yahoo for
> POP/SMTP access.

That's what Yahoo FAQs said last year.  But when I opened my first
Yahoo Mail account years ago, IMAP wasn't available on the free
account.  Now, it is.  Of course, I have heard of people like you who
just entered the proper POP/SMPT server info and they worked.  Without
converting to a paid account.  Maybe, Yahoo just doesn't check.  Or
it's a bug.

> >Have read about all of them.  Only zoho.com got a mostly (50%) good
> >rating.  The others got 3 or 4 "bads" for every "great."  There
> >wer no inbetween rating for any.  They were either great or
> >awful.  Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> NP.  Just remember that people that do these reviews are far, *far*
> more likely to post when things go belly up.  Also, they will ignore
> all the evidence pointing to them (the reviewer) being at fault.  Now,
> that's not to say that these companies have their down sides, just
> that I've never had any issues.

It's the actual users that are giving the predominately bad ratings.
The reviews by known venues like PCMag.com, etc. rate most of the sites
I've looked at good to excellent.  It's the disparity between the two
that bothers me.

Of course, the vast majority of those users are Windows users.  And I've
heard -- just a rumor, mind you -- that Windows biggest problem is
between the chair and the keyboard. ;-)