Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:38:06 -0700
> Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Patrick,
>
> >I don't need lots of storage or big attachment sizes (or any
> >attachments really), but I do need IMAP, so I can use Claws.  It
> >must be
>
> You don't need IMAP to use Claws.  However, if you're set on using
> IMAP, the following may be useful.

IMAP was the recommended way to access free Yahoo Mail with an email
client.  You had to convert to a paid account to get POP access.  Don't
know if that's still the case.

> http://www.inbox.com do IMAP & POP/SMTP, but limit you to 5GB, which
> is fine for text stuff, but if you have lots of big(-ish) attachments,
> space might become an issue.
>
> http://www.yandex.com do IMAP & POP/SMTP with a 10GB mailbox when you
> sign up.  As soon as you get to within 200MB of that limit, it's
> increased by 1GB.  The help files don't specify, but seem to imply
> that the mailbox capacity will increase by 1GB every time you
> approach your current limit.
>
> http://www.zoho.com do IMAP & POP/SMTP.  Mailbox size is 5GB on a free
> account.
>
> Http://www.mail.com do IMAP & POP/SMTP.  They *say* they charge for
> those services, but I can log in and do POP/SMTP, without paying them
> a penny.  I can't find a size limit for the mailbox, but the T&Cs
> indicate there is one (...for your contract type...)
>
> I use all of the above with Claws via POP/SMTP, don't pay for them
> (they all have free accounts) and have no problems.

Have read about all of them.  Only zoho.com got a mostly (50%) good
rating.  The others got 3 or 4 "bads" for every "great."  There
wer no inbetween rating for any.  They were either great or
awful.  Thanks for the suggestions.

> >FYI: If I don't get replies -- because of Yahoo my posts don't get
> >mirrored back to me -- I can't know if this got through.  So, at
>
> Most lists I'm on (the ones run using mailman) have an option to send
> the poster an acknowledgement of their post.

I used to get all my posts and replies mirrored back until a couple of
weeks ago they stopped.  I didn't change anything.  I think it's
Yahoo's authentication problems with the list that's the cause; hence
the switch to another email provider to see if I'm correct.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.