[OT] Re: On why you should volunteer my way(?)

On 11/03/14 01:41, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> On 03/10/2014 08:29 AM, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> On 3/10/2014 4:45 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been using the phonetic abbreviation "nub" for over 15 years....

It's commonly used in SMS "new-bee", all over the world. And some people
will be offended by it - others will use it to describe themselves. You
can't please everyone, and some will always find something to complain
about.

Some people will be offended when other people speak for them.

The official mailing list protocol doesn't say anything specifically
about abbreviations.

The wiki on this mailing list's protocols
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guidelines.2C_and_Tips
(a guide for posters on how to enhance the chances of having their query
answered) does suggest using Wikipedia's definitions of email
abbreviations....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_email_subject_abbreviations

To my surprise that doesn't even include AFAIK, but I suspect the
referencing recommendation is sound advice - especially in light of this
unproductive and divisive thread.

NOTE: if you look for the meaning of an abbreviation in a "urban
dictionary" of common insults, you're likely to find the meaning is an
insult.

<snipped>

>     His tone

<snipped>

Emails don't have "tones". The tone is just the voice in the reader's
head. Which is why different people read different things into email -
and why they/we can react irrationally.

Sadly, much of Stan's rant rings true - some people do insist on riding
the bike without a seat, then acting like butthurt children. To those
that don't like his style and strongly feel it reflects poorly on
"their" OS - why not help the OP in the style you 'believe' is correct
instead of seeking a public forum for berating him and deluding yourself
it's not about ego.
I know - I've been guilty of the same mistake - because I was wrong.
Guess I didn't spring fully formed from the womb.

Can we all move on to helping Debian users with the technical problems
now?  :)

Kind regards