Re: On what is helpful and what is not [was: Re: Wifi]

On 3/10/2014 5:16 PM, Charlie wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:15:11 -0400 Dave Woyciesjes sent:

It's attitudes like that that keep people away from Debian &
Linux.

Do you think so? Or is it that people are accustomed to having it all
done for them, just turn the key and the engine fires up?

That "attitude" should be ignored if one is interested in the
assistance required to do what they want. But if not, it rather prepares
a new user for the RTFM remark and that they have to take a few knocks
and get back up again. Isn't that what life is all about?

Be well,
Charlie

The problem is, new users don't necessarily know what questions to ask, must less what manual to look in.

I started with Unix back in the early 90's (actually used it long before that - but that was only a user on a remote terminal). There weren't that many books on it at that time, and the WWW didn't exist yet. Fortunately, I had a couple of good friends who knew Unix. I probably drove them crazy with all of my questions.

Everyone is new at sometime or other. A helping hand is always welcome. Remember that honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

Jerry

Jerry