Re: Debian repository available on USB flash rather than CD/DVD sets?

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 08:23:26AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Joel Rees wrote:

> >><chuckle>
> >>I do know how to search for packages in Debian and progeny.
> >>
> >>That paragraph was written as a rhetorical device to get a point across.
> >>
> >>In multiple threads I have stated my goal.
> >>To whit, "To have *ALL* of Debian ("for a specific architecture" implied)
> >>without availability of *ANY* internet connectivity."
> >>
> >>I keep getting suggestions to approximately meet *SPECIFICATION* by ... ;/

Can you afford two USB sticks - one 32G and one 64G?

I've just tested the following (for Wheezy / Debian 7.* - since Squeeze is oldstable and will age off at some point)

1. Used jigdo-lite to build the Blu-Ray disk number 1 for i386 [All commands below as root]

	Aptitude install jigdo-lite

2. Download the two files from http://cdimage.debian.org needed to make up the BD image.

	debian-7.4.0-i386-BD-1.jigdo

	debian-7.4.0-i386-BD-1.template (about 45M)

3. Create the BD .iso image - this will take time and will download files in groups of 10 until it has the 4627 or so that it needs.

	jigdo-lite debian-7.4.0-i386-BD1.jigdo

[It won't redownload the template, since you already have that. You may need to hit enter a couple of times to start the actual download.]

You end up with a 22G or so file, which is a bootable .iso file. [The equivalent of 5 of the 10 DVDs]

I used a brand new 32G stick. Plug the stick in once: check the output of dmesg to see which drive gets added.

	tail dmesg

In my case this was /dev/sdc1

4. Wipe the existing partition.

	cfdisk /dev/sdc

Follow the prompts, delete the existing partition and write the result back. You now have an empty stick but the changes won't be recognised
until the stick is removed and reinserted.

5. Remove and re-insert the stick. Use dd to write the BD image to the stick.

dd if=debian-7.4.0-i386-BD1.iso of=/dev/sdc obs=4M

6. You now have a bootable flash disk containing all the files equivalent to the first 5 DVDs.

7. Repeat the process for generating the iso file for BD2 in the same way from the .jigdo and .template files.

8. On the second flash disk [64GB] you don't need to change the underlying vfat file system.
Make a new directory into which you copy both the BD .iso files, into the root directory on the stick, copy the firmware .debs from

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/ directory.

The first flash disk is now bootable and can be used to install a very full system. If you _really_ need the second BD, insert the second flash disk and use apt-cdrom
to add the contents of both .iso files. If you need non-free firmware, you have the firmware .debs to install from on the second stick.

For best results, use the expert install option. This should give you all of Debian 7.4.0 for 32 bit on two USB flash drives, one bootable,
one containing all files needed to install everything without initial network access - at the cost of a couple of hours of download time/building time for the isos
if you have access to a relatively fast connection at some point. [For me, it also cost me £25 / US$ 41.61 because I didn't have a 32GB stick. Larger sticks may also
be slightly less reliable / you run the risk of losing more if they do fail.]

Hope this helps - with all the very best wishes,

AndyC