Re: Debian repository available on USB flash rather than CD/DVD sets?

Joel Rees wrote:
On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
Joel Rees wrote:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 5:23 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net>
wrote:

[...]
As I write this a interesting question arose, "Could I find software to
emulate a Z80 CPM machine?". Is there an implementation of Lawrence
Livermore BASIC? How about CUPL? I believe the term applied to my
interests
is eclectic.
YMMV

I assume you know the answers to these questions?

<chuckle>
I do know how to search for packages in Debian and progeny.

That paragraph was written as a rhetorical device to get a point across.

In multiple threads I have stated my goal.
To whit, "To have *ALL* of Debian ("for a specific architecture" implied)
without availability of *ANY* internet connectivity."

I keep getting suggestions to approximately meet *SPECIFICATION* by ... ;/

Having you tried setting up a regular mirror (spinning disks) (hosted
on a debian server, of course) and making a live image of it? Then
writing the image to a USB drive?

Servers, actual or virtual, are outside problem scope.

There are some tricky points, some USB drives don't take well to being
partitioned or to having non-VFAT derived file systems written on
them.

Not a problem for two reasons:
   For unspecified reasons I wish to use FAT32 partition anyway.
The specific dives I have available are happy with all the formats I'm likely to use.

Many don't like to be shrunk, so you'll want to gauge the size
of the mirror (And that means, perhaps, limiting the extent of the
ideal "all". But I think you have already indicated that you want to
have some elements of the non-free repository -- drivers ..., which
means you're going to be hand-crafting the installation to a certain
extent. I think I'd tend to lean towards building it as two
repositories, by the way, to make the license issues a bit cleaner.)

My test case will be Wheezy which comes on 10 DVD therefore will fit with room to spare on a 64 GB device.

Of course, the whole problem here is that you're the only person on
the list who has a prayer of figuring out how to build what you want.

<GRIN>

Which of the approximations have you tried so far, to get a feel of
how they work in practice?

Approximations are not acceptable by *DEFINITION*.

P.S.
Two professors wee discussing me - in my presence.

Prof A: "This young man can be persistent."
Prof B: "Yes." [l-o-n-g pause] "about what he wants to be."
We won't discuss what family and friends say ;/