Re: Debian repository available on USB flash rather than CD/DVD sets?

On Ma, 18 feb 14, 22:33:00, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> >From memory, someone suggested that a command as simple as the
> following will turn your usb stick into a bootable debian-installer
> DVD style USB stick:
> dd if=/my/debian-boot-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdBLAH bs=1M
>
> (With the bs=1M just meaning set a large blocksize, which is just to
> improve performance of the usb stick creation step.)

Simpler:

    cp /my/debian-boot-dvd.iso /dev/sdWHATEVER

> The only thing I'm not sure on is expanding the thusly created ISO9660
> (or whatever) filesystem, so it can contain your repo, or creating two
> partitions on the usb stick and putting your repo on the second
> partition (although I think the only thing that changes, is the dd
> command above, eg create two partitions, one a bit larger than your
> DVD image, then use dd to copy the DVD debian isntall disk1 image, to
> the first partition - but I'm not sure on this detail sorry, I'm sure
> someone else will pipe up).

That's why I have been recommending the BD image, because it is bootable
and should contain 99% of what you really need (remember, packages are
sorted on the images by popularity).

The BD images are only available as jigdo (probably because of storage
space), but since the OP already has the full DVD set it should be easy
to use the DVDs to "seed" the BD image.

Kind regards,
Andrei