Re: Debian repository available on USB flash rather than CD/DVD sets?

On 2/17/14, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> I've been purchasing the multiple DVD sets as I am limited to a
> dial-up connection.

It is great to support suppliers who service our "libre community" markets!

> As 64GB flash drives are readily available I would find it
> convenient to have a complete distro on a single device.

Did you fail with the instructions I have posted a couple of times now?

I really am happy to help, and it is clear that so are others.
Creating your own personal "quick and dirty" repo is a relatively easy
thing to do (in my world at least :)

> I've queried the company I've been buying the DVDs from with no
> response.

They may find it a saleable product, although I daresay niche, perhaps
too niche for them to bother.

Aagain, it's not difficult to achieve, since you have a DVD set.

Also, unless you really need an updated set, then an existing, eg
wheezy, DVD set will be absolutely heaps for your learning escapades
:)

In general, if you are not Internet-connected, then "security" updates
are not so important, _especially_ when what you are doing is a
learning exercise anyway. The only time updates really make sense, are
if there are bugs biting you, in your current network-disconnected
installation!

Finally, if you run with the "stable" distribution, namely wheezy at
this point, then when the next point-release (bug fix release) is
available, a single 'update' CD or DVD is generally all you need to
get _all_ the updates for that point-release (eg I think the most
recent wheezy point release was 7.4).

I.e., it may be worth checking if your DVD supplier provides the
update DVD, for each point release. On the other hand, I have
absolutely no objections to your support of such service providers by
purchasing full DVD sets - I heartily encourage that of course.

So, if you wish to create your own bootable USB stick, which also
contains a full local Debian mirror, I and I'm sure others here will
be glad to assist you creating that. Being comfortable creating that
would be a very good thing for you particularly, given your
dialup-only Internet.

So, have a crack, and just ask again when/if you get stuck :)

Good luck,
Zenaan