Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

Anubhav Yadav:
> Okay, I installed debian now, a perfect install with LVM.
> Here is the output of df -H
>
> Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> rootfs                   8.7G  330M  7.9G   5% /

You usually can get away with a much smaller root filesystem if you use
a separate /usr. The good thing is that you won't run into trouble with
dozens of kernels installed (they take more than 100MB in /lib/modules
each).

> Is there anything wrong with this partitioning scheme.

Looks generally fine. One thing I would have done (and which I cannot
see whether you did it) is to leave some free space in the VG so you can
extend existing filesystems or create new ones when you need to.

> As Joel advised (thanks) I made a big 565 GB primary LVM partition.
> and then created partitions as advised by Joel again.

It helps in our understanding if you try to use the correct terminology.
What I think you wanted to say is something like:

"I created one big primary partition and used that as Physical Volume
for my Volume Group 'Debian'. I created all filesystems in Logical
Volumes in that Volume Group."

I capitalized terms specific to LVM.

J.
--
A passionate argument means more to me than a blockbuster movie.
[Agree]   [Disagree]