Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 05:00:11PM +0100, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Anubhav Yadav:
> > Okay, I installed debian now, a perfect install with LVM.
> > Here is the output of df -H
> >
> > Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > rootfs                   8.7G  330M  7.9G   5% /
>
> You usually can get away with a much smaller root filesystem if you use
> a separate /usr. The good thing is that you won't run into trouble with
> dozens of kernels installed (they take more than 100MB in /lib/modules
> each).

There is little point in having a separate /usr on a Debian system.  Both
/ and /usr are managed by dpkg, so splitting them gains you nothing.  On
other systems it might make more sense, but on a Linux system with dpkg
or rpm, it's not something which I can recommend.  I had a separate /usr
for over decade until I thought about it long and hard and realised this.

The content of /, and /usr (and /boot for most people) are a managed
whole.  /var is the only part which can be properly justified in
splitting since it's writable, likewise for user data in /home or /srv.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh