Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

On 02/09/2014 04:05 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:

/snip/
On W
On Linux, there are three possibilities which mitigate all these
things:

1) Use LVM.  You can use the entire drive as a single physical volume
    (PV) and then carve it up into separate logical volumes (LVs).  This
    allows exactly the same strategy as above, but you can start with
    the minimum needed size for each partition and leave the remaining
    space unallocated.  Should you need additional space for any of the
    volumes, you can just extend it on demand.  Downside: space allocation
    is manual and some degree of space wastage still occurs.

2) Use Btrfs.  You can have a single Btrfs volume, and then use
    subvolumes for all the separate parts, divided up exactly as above.
    The subvolumes may be independently snapshotted, backed up and
    preserved.  The rootfs itself can be a subvolume.  The main problem
    here is that Btrfs isn't production ready, so I can't recommend it
    unless you don't care about your data.

3) Use ZFS.  Allocate the drive as a single zpool.  You can then create
    zfs volumes for all the separate bits.  However, you don't have the
    space wastage issues since all the data is in a single pool, and
    you can adjust the size allocations/quotas on demand for each
    individual volume (or leave them unset to give them as much space as
    they can get).  Needs a kernel patch for the zfs driver.  With
    kFreeBSD you can do this natively.  It has all sorts of great
    features which I won't go into here.

I've tried all three.  For Linux, using LVM is easy and can be done
in the installer.  If you reinstall you can keep the LVs you want and
wipe/delete the rest.
/snip/

Regards,
Roger

I don't understand LVM, but I tried to install some distro just to
learn about it, and it would only install using LVM, which meant
that it would only install on the entire hard drive. No partitions,
no Windows, no nothing. I installed it on a second small h/d, and
then I found out that nothing on it was accessible from a normal
Linux installed on a normal file system on sda.  If LVM becomes
the Linux standard, I will have to find a different OS!

--doug